Monday, January 23, 2012

Highs & Lows

My friend Amber does Highs & Lows on Sundays-I always look forward to them. She's HILARIOUS too--always great posts.

Lows:
Dealing with Rachel and her choice in boys. It's SO HARD to raise girls-and we are just beginning! Jon has been working REALLY hard at staying calm and letting Rachel do most of the talking. That is key I think. Kids know right from wrong-sometimes we have to step in and remind them that the DO know right from wrong and can change behaviors. This is the third "round" of dealing with this same boy so I decided to step in and texted the kid "This is Mr. and Mrs. Hales. Please do not call, text, email, facebook or message our daughter any further. Thank you." I think as parents-we sometimes need to step in when the time is right. Rachel is WAY happier when she's not having interactions with this boy. Here's to hoping she has a better week. So far so good.
(Side note-my dad told me last night that the Stake YM's president came to our house to meet with my dad and said "There are lots of boys that would like to date your daughter but they are too afraid of you." My dad replied "Well Alan, lets just keep it that way." --good grief that explains why I didnt get asked out one ONE DATE EVER in High School! It's okay I more then made up for it in college.)

Dealing with Sarah who likes to C.O.N.S.T.A.N.T.L.Y pick on Anna. Sarah will make some remark about ANYTHING Anna is doing-then Anna comes to use crying. It's a cycle that get's old-real fast. What is it with 2nd and 3rd children!?

Man I didnt really have a lot of lows this week? I could add how Rachel didnt do ANY of her chores this week and that so bugs.

HIGHS:
This is a photo Rachel asked me to take of Jon & her.

This is what she wrote about him on her Facebook: "This is my daddy. Go ahead and laugh, I don't care. I've been told every possible thing imaginable. He is my idol, my world, my hero. He's there to listen to everything I say. He's a best friend, a father, a teacher. He's the one I look up to. This is my daddy that could never be replaced.♥" She was teased in 5th-8th grade about her daddy being in a wheelchair-it was R.E.A.L.L.Y. hard on her.
I LOVE this photo and it will definitely be one of her wedding montage video photos.

Yesterday after Stake Conference we drove to Todd's house. I had texted to see if it was okay to come-but neither of them saw their cell phones with the text. So when my girls knocked on the door their kids were yelling "NO WAY OUR COUSINS ARE HERE!" Jon and I left them there and we drove around looking at houses.

The Hales purchased a cabin in Lake Arrowhead. You can see photos at http://cabin.jonathanhales.com/ The family is SO EXCITED! It JUST closed on Friday. I picked up the keys. Our family is only 40 minutes away. We are 20 minutes from our house to the base of the mountain, then 20 minutes from base to cabin. I am also helping Sandra pick out tile, carpet, colors etc. SO FUN.

Lastly Jon & I started a Ticket business and it is doing great. You can see the website Jon built at www.stubgate.com PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD! Any concerts, shows, games etc--use our site! It's been GREAT to work side by side with Jon. We pretty much live in our office. We LOVE that we can really live anywhere-as long as we have internet access we can work. What a blessing to our family.

3 comments:

Amber said...

I LOVE the text you sent to the problem boy--awesome. If he doesn't get the picture, invite him over and answer the door in camo clothes and take him to the kitchen where you will begin cleaning your Hunting Gun...

We can't get our kids to come to us when fighting-it just escalates into hitting and blood.

That breaks my heart that kids would tease Rachael about Jon...5th graders-8th graders are the cruelest age of children--the worst. Way to go for her to say that in her post!!

Enjoy the cabin!

WENDY said...

Christina, I have only commented once, and it was over a year ago. I don't know if you will even remember. I have had a very busy year or so and have not had much time to read blogs or anything really since then.

I had mentioned at that time that I had read your blog for several years, and that it had helped me.

Our family can relate to what your daughter has endured at school. My high school aged daughter has endured many of her peers pointing and talking about her because of her Dad's illness and death. It has been very challenging. The one good thing that may come of it though, is that I am noticing that my children are much more compassionate and empathetic than other kids their age who have not endured something like this.

I am betting if I met your 4 darling daughters that they would be much the same....very kind and compassionate of others' challenges. I too loved her facebook post! And she SHOULD be proud of him--he is an amazing man!

Melinda said...

I think it's awesome you went straight to the source to fix the problem. I hope Rachel doesn't have any more problems with him. I can't believe kids teased her, that is horrible.

That is a really cute picture of her and Jon.

Ash always seems to pick the worst people to hang out with. She's dumped her old circle of friends that are a good group,of girls and has chosen to be with some girls that are all a hot mess. I stress so much over her.