Sunday, October 10, 2010

Highs & Lows:

Lows:

Becca being injured and needing an ice pack THREE times in one week. The wrist, the arm, the chin--for heaven sakes already this is why i didnt have any boys!

Becca come home crying because she couldnt write her lowercase o correctly. After talking to her she said "the teacher kept telling her she wasnt writing it right." Then Becca started crying-then the teacher said "if you keep crying you have to pull your card." So i asked Becca "if the teacher hurt her feelings & broke her heart?" Becca replied "yes." --this is what I ask becca when she cries about something -it's usually because someone said or did something and if i just ask "oh becca-did that hurt your feelings or break your heart?" she says "yes" and then she's fine.

So I called the teacher and asked what happened. I could tell right away she was on the defensive-which is probably natural. She even made the comment "and this isnt the first time she's cried-she's done it a few other times!" I wanted to go postal on her--but didnt. I took a deep breath, didnt say anything for a few seconds then said "Becca is very sensitive. If she feels like she is doing something wrong she feels terrible and her only coping method is to cry. She doesnt know how to handle letting someone down yet. So next time she's struggling please ask her "becca did that breakt your heart or hurt your feelings-because i dont want to break your heart-so lets take a big deep breath and start over."--then take the breath and start over. I also told the teacher "i dont expect you to console my daughter every time--you are there to teach and not break to console her--but maybe the first few times might help her to regroup her feelings and thoughts more easily." In the end I could immediately tell the teacher was changing her tone of voice and she thanked me for calling and giving her guidance on what to do should something happen again. I told her to please feel free to contact me by phone if there is a problem.

Poor Becca--she's my baby--and well yeah there's a TEENY bit of extra love for her.

I think i feel bad because i spent so much time with Jon recovering from his accident and getting acclimated with life that I missed out on so much of her growing. I saw her running back into the house because she forgot her shoes for the library and as I watched her it made me visually freeze that moment and then flash forward to her being 17 and running in real quick to get something. I find myself taking more moments to capture a memory in my mind--because for some STRANGE reason my memory of my life and my children's life is HORRIBLE. I do NOT remember much!!

HIGHS:
Watching Rachel make the 8th grade volleyball team! She made 7th grade last year. This year was WAY harder and more intense--I was nervous.

Beginning the Roadshow practice (I am in charge with my friend Erin Thompson)-STRESSFUL. It was GREAT to see everyone excited about it and really getting into it.

Attending Anna's BFF baptism. Anna "met" kate when they were both 3-5 months old-us mommies were nursing in the mothers lounge. Kate's mom Kristen & I have been close friends ever since that day. I'm so grateful for Kristen--and love that Kate & Anna have such a great friendship--the kind of friendship where you know they will be college roomies when they grow up a bit more!

Finally getting the Turbo Tax CD so I can start my taxes ALL this week that are due on Friday--again STRESSFUL! I hope/pray I can manage to get it all done. This year feels extra complicated with businesses we have going on.

And lastly--getting a blog post in!! YES i feel like I can enter back into the Celestial Kingdom again--or atleast rejoin the "Mormon moms who do everything perfectly" club again!!

4 comments:

Lauralee said...

oh, I am so glad you are back in the "group" of moms who do everything perfectly..... we've been waiting!:) just kidding of course, that just cracked me up..
Becca.. sounds like my maddy- she cries over EVERYTHING and she is 10 now, so not so cute.. I wish I could find the words to get her to stop and cope..
AND Becca sounds like Luke- my baby-
I have a poor memory too, I feel like i tell my kids the same stories about them growing up all the time, I wish I was better at that...
good luck with the taxes, that is stressful-I hope it goes flawlessly for you!

donna said...

YOU are a great MOM for calling Becca's Teacher.. Every child is different , and some just needs a little more TLC!
I have a son that needs a little extra TLC!

Melinda said...

I was wondering how I cold join this group? I need all the help I can get!

I have a Becca. I'm glad the teacher sounds like she is going to work with her. It is so hard trying to figure out how and what to do for our kids! It would be so much easier if they had a manual duct taped to them. I hope you call helps Becca. Poor thing.

Thankfully, Jason seems to remember everything I don't and vice verse. It is crazy how it works out but it's a good thing we have even though we don't mean for it to be that way.

Amber said...

Seriously, Roadshow? I was in charge of that when Cole was a newborn --totally not an inspired calling!--and I was all about delegation. I just got the right people and stood back.

Poor Becca and having the teacher break her heart! Can't beleive the teacher was all defensive like that, but you handled it like a pro, really.

And you know I have a fuzzy memory of all my kids except Cole, and that's because I wasn't years' sleep deprived with him, only 9 months and anyone can retain memory through one stinkin' pregnancy. I haven't even written anything in Luke's baby book, and with cole it's like a weekly entry.

As for being in the club of Mormon Women who do everything--tell me waht THAT's like. I will never make that one in a jillion years. Can I have an anti Perfect Patty club? I will be the charter member.